Monday, November 27, 2006

Recent life wrapup

"Are you planning on blogging today?" - I hear this question often, and I'm honored to have such an anxious audience. Having just completed a six-day weekend, it would seem that I've had plenty of time to blog, but a lazy schedule leads to a lazy Keith, so here I finally am to tell you all what's been going on.

Super-weekend started Tuesday afternoon, when work-manager-guy told me it wouldn't be necessary to show up on Wednesday. I wasn't too surprised; I had figured on spending only a few hours there Wednesday, but I was quite glad to begin my vacation early.

I picked up brother Todd after work Tuesday and took him back to Long Beach for a couple days of fun. There was some basketball, both real life and PlayStation, a 'Beauty and the Geek' marathon, burritos at Moe's, and, of course, plenty of rest.

On Thanksgiving, the plan was to pick up Grandma on the way to Mom and Dad's place, but it didn't quite happen that way. We did attempt to pick up Grandma, but, upon arriving, we were informed she was headed for the hospital due to an accelerated heartbeat and labored breathing. So, Thanksgiving was less giving thanks and more waiting by the phone. Despite our worry, we all had a nice evening. Thanksgiving can be particularly vegetarian-unfriendly, so I had a very starchy meal, but I loved it anyway. Thanks Mom.

I think the only thing I accomplished on Friday was getting a haircut, and then Atom came over for the evening. We got some beer, and I ended up finishing Sarah's last-weekend wine and got completely surprise-drunk. Our evening consisted of some Thai delivery, supplemental rice-making, cigar smoking, and a Sarah/Atom text-message-relationship. Also, we watched a Barbara Walters special because we are gay.

Saturday was my big doing-things day... first, lunch with Atom and roomie in Plainview, followed directly by a surprise visit to my parents' house in Melville. Apparently Dad is turning the basement into an awesome hangout place, what with the pool table and new humongous TV. That's nice, but couldn't this have happened when I was 12? Afterwards, I did a little shopping, getting myself a couple of shirts for skiing and a couple of family Xmas gifts. I then met my parents and brother at the hospital to visit Grandma, who is now doing fine and is back home. After this I got a quick burrito at Moe's, and then went over to Enston's house for a couple of beers. I got to meet Heather's sisters' new baby, and I think we really bonded. In particular, we both enjoy staring and sitting upright. I came home (and parked 3/4 of a mile from my house... grrr) and got to do some instant-message peacekeeping, but everything settled down well enough and I finally went to bed.

On Sunday, I accidentally slept until 1pm. Aside from that, I think I got a burrito. That was my Sunday.

This brings us to today... it was a real get-a-few-things-done day, or, rather, an intend-to-get-a-few-things-done day. Aside from food shopping and some job-reading, it turned into a real sit-around day in which the highlight was an accidental nap on the couch. See, when I have a block of time off like this, I really think I'm going to get a lot done, but I tend to fall into this rhythm of not having to do a single thing. By the final day, I'm almost completely useless.


In the spirit of Thanksgiving, here are ten things I'm thankful for:

1. A December that is just jam-packed with fun (look at my Myspace calendar - I'm a real social butterfly now).
2. The willingness of my Mom to make meatless stuffing for me in addition to her household-renowned sausage stuffing.
3. Still having a Grandma.
4. Peeps (not the marshmallow treats, but rather the flesh and blood treats who listen to me whine and tolerate me when I drink too much).
5. Beer.
6. My two blankets and their ability to coexist, and even complement each other, rather than struggle for dominance.
7. The fact that I have very little to complain about, even when my entire life is a giant question mark.
8. The early part of the NBA season, during which neat little story lines spring up, like: The Utah Jazz are good now, what's the deal?
9. Sarah surprise-visiting last weekend.
10. My darling acoustic guitar, who keeps threatening to break for good, but always allows me to successfully repair it one more time...

And in the spirit of curmudgeony-ness (yes, please suggest a better word), here are four things I am definitely NOT thankful for (life rule: always maintain a 2.5:1 ratio of things you're thankful for to things you're not thankful for):

1. Columbia House, who simply cannot get their shit straight and accept things on my terms.
2. The approaching cold weather.
3. Work-night insomnia.
4. Getting really excited to have some Total Raisin Bran only to go to the kitchen and find that I don't currently own any.

15 comments:

Anonymous said...

You have work night insomnia because you took a nap and woke up from the said nap at 7 PM. (having slept until 10 am, already) You did the dishes. You are a nice roomie.

Anonymous said...

wow... your december DOES look like fun... can't wait!

are we all going to have to wait another full week for a new post? I don't know about the rest of your readers, but a week of no blogging has caused much anxiety for me!

ReasonswhyIdumpedyou@gmail.com said...

What's with grandparents not dealing with Thanksgiving well? Yours is the second grandparent I heard of who went to the hospital.

Also, my motto for the weekend was "Hateful not grateful."

Anonymous said...

So i write this classic song that everybody knows and everyone loves, yet no one (except dave and probably keith) knows who i am without having to google me.

why do peeps set their myspace page to private? how can stalkers like myself, who refuse the urge to create a page of their own, determine how busy your december actually is?

Red said...

How about curmudgeonocity? Great entry!

Anonymous said...

my nephew is awesome! don't knock the 6 month old.

Anonymous said...

You really should blog more often...it gives me and Sarah something fun to do at work. Glad Grandma is feeling better!

Unknown said...

How come I'm not on your top 10 list???

Anonymous said...

hi keith! first time commenter, long time reader-of-your-musings. i must say, i'm quite jealous of your upcoming december calendar. i wonder if you'll have enough time to open my holiday correspondence...

Keith said...

Sarah - I will not make you wait that long again.

Kate - Grandparents are tired of being patronized by their relatives. Sometimes, they choose illness instead.

Frank 'Bean' Eposito - You need to become a real myspacer; all the cool kids are doing it.

Red - Ooh good word (Dane Cook voice), thanks.

Heather - I'm sure I have no idea what you're talking about.

Shay - WELCOME! You were eagerly anticipated, and you delivered! Stick around...

Michelle - You're on my top ten "people I've only talked to on AIM" list. Also, my "sister-of-my-friend" list. In fact, you're #1 on both.

Meggers - There's always time for your correspondence. Thanks for finally commenting; don't be a stranger.

Anonymous said...

Are you going to blog again soon? It's been a few days and I know you will be too busy this weekend. So I guess that just leaves today!

Anonymous said...

seriously... when are you going to blog again?

Traci Reid said...

1. You're vegetarian?! Well this changes everything.
2. Add another grandparent casualty to your list...my aunt's father had a stroke right before eating his turkey, and right after bragging about how he never takes his high blood pressure medicine.
3. that blog should have started at paragraph four. According to a writing workshop I went to, you have to get to the action fast. Especially if you ever want your blog to become a book.
4. I apologize for comment 3.
5. Is your friend really named Atom?
6. Can you imagine the Auswitch-type experience for the turkeys mid November? Every year I have this totally morbid mental experience - I imagine scenes of Schindler's list, but all the characters are replaced with turkeys.


That's all.

Keith said...

Traci, seriously, best commenter ever!
1. What does that change exactly?
2. Lesson learned: if you are cheating Death, don't brag about it. Death hates that.
3. But then you wouldn't have heard about my bro, my no-work-surprise, and my lack of motivation.
4. Hey, no problem... constructive criticism, right? Even if it makes me cry...
5. Everyone else calls him Adam, but he's Atom to me.
6. I really bet it's like that all year - people love turkey sandwiches. I mean, I acknowledge the turkey-death increase in November, but it's not like they're full of hope in the spring.

Traci Reid said...

Ahhhh Keith
1. best commenter ever - you know just the thing to keep me commenting. I'm a compliment crack addict.
2. vegetarian remark left purposefully vague to see how you'd respond.
3. ever call your friend up-and?
4. okay that was dumb
5. I think we're done here.