Thursday, November 30, 2006

On the disappearance of quality guacamole

I remember when I was a kid... guacamole was dripping from the walls and oozing from every pore. It was up my dog's nose and in my Mom's flower pots. You could take some tortilla chips outside, scrape them on the ground, and you'd have a delicious avocado-based treat.

That's no longer the case.

I'm not saying that what's now called guacamole isn't readily available - quite the contrary. The market is flooded with the new version of this more-than-a-condiment but not-quite-a-food-by-itself substance. But it is certainly not guacamole. Just today, my friend Frank sent me an article about a lawsuit (we'll call it Crazy lady with too much time on her hands and possibly some misplaced anger v. Kraft Foods) in which it was revealed that Kraft's 'guacamole' was less than 2% avocado-derived. And therein lies the problem... traditional guacamole is made from avocados and salt. Pretty simple, right? Go to any Mexican-inspired restaurant today and the guacamole you get will likely be filled with tomatoes, onions, and various other non-guacamole nonsense ingredients. Why add something to the mix when simplicity is perfection? Wouldn't it just be easier to leave it alone? It's certainly tastier that way. Perhaps avocados themselves are particularly expensive, and a cost-effective guacamole must be partially made with cheaper produce? I don't have the answer.

I do know one thing: we can't sit back as this wonderful treat (which currently exists only in my memory) is destroyed forever. We must band together and fight. I'm going to call this "The Guacamole-Reform-Through-Peaceful-Resistance-and-If-That-Doesn't-Work-Get-Violent Initiative". Come join us...



I will be away this weekend, so here's a song to keep you all occupied in my absence.

11 comments:

Anonymous said...

Avocados are gross.

Anonymous said...

i love avocados, but am totally indifferent to guacamole - isnt that strange?
i guess i just feel that there's no need for anything but salsa and sour cream on my illegal immigrant food

Anonymous said...

a few things...

1) tomatoes in guacamole are a must

2) glad you introduced me to moe's... it's my new favorite place... but their guacamole sucks!

3) if you ever go to cali to visit your new friend traci, ask her to take you to the avocado soup place

4) love the song

5) I'm wearing new pants today

can't wait to have guacamole with you tonight!

Anonymous said...

I agree with Sarah, I like tomatoes in my guacamole. But I hate when they put mayo or something in it and it has that extra creamy fake texture.

ReasonswhyIdumpedyou@gmail.com said...

No wonder you wanted to stay anonymous, Anonymous! Avacados are nectar of the gods.

Red said...

Agreed, and as promised, Kate and I will entertain your palate with avocado toast over New Year's. Also enjoyed the song, but if you're veering into Kelly C territory, you should REALLY do your own version of Walk Away. Hope you guys had a great weekend, sorry I missed you!

ReasonswhyIdumpedyou@gmail.com said...

In honor of you I'm going to Chipotle tonight. Magical!

Traci Reid said...

Regarding Raetard's comment 3: there's a good reason you call yourself raetard, because the soup you had was ARTICHOKE soup, not avacado soup. I know, all of those green A - vegetables can sure get confusing (my eyes are rolling to the back of my head)

Sarah Rae said...

Look, Traci... you're lucky I even remember having soup with you.

(but, seriously... that comment gave me the best laugh I've had in a while!)

Sarah Rae said...

In fact, I'd say it was the best laugh since Keith clogged my toilet!

Traci Reid said...

Sarah, you know you could NEVER forget that soup, it's the bomb (am I still allowed to use that expression?). As a matter of fact, why don't you bring Keith with you to California. We'll go have the soup, and then clog the toilet at the restaurant....a two-fer!