Thursday, November 09, 2006

Showdown: Qdoba vs. Moe's or Nachofight 2006!

In any market, there are major and minor players, movers, shakers, winners and losers... today I turn my attention toward those hawking the culinary wares of the Southwest, where Tex and Mex meet, making their sweet symphony of succulent sustenance.

Always encouraged to write what I know, my analysis will focus solely on the nacho, and only on those available in the Northeast.

Chipotle - you're great, you've got the burrito down pat, but you don't really do nachos (and by the way, 16 locations in New York City and none elsewhere in NY? - please expand, we like you and we need you).

Baja Fresh - you also do the burrito well, and when ordered 'enchilada style' - muy bien! But nachos, not your forte either.

That said, there are two in these parts who offer the traditional nacho platter (tortilla chips covered in beans, cheese, jalapenos, salsa, and a choice of meat if you so choose) - Moe's Southwest Grill and Qdoba Mexican Grill. Having sampled both recently (yesterday and today), I present my side by side comparison:

Qdoba - your decor is inviting, your menu non-intimidating; I had high hopes. But your chips are too thick, your cheese sauce full of chunks I couldn't possibly find appetizing, and you don't have a flagship salsa. Instead, you require that I choose between your five unusual salsas. Should I order the nachos five times to figure out which works for me? Did you think your clientele might get on board with this, dividing themselves by salsa-allegiance, perhaps sporting t-shirts declaring "I'm a salsa roja!" and "I'm a salsa verde!"? Your gimmicks disgust me.

Moe's - upon entering, your employee's yell "Welcome to Moe's!", which, while goofy, is so warm and inviting. Your chips are thin, which forces me to focus on your wonderful white cheese sauce, your robust pinto beans, and your delightfully Americanized jalapenos, guaranteed never to offend the sensitive palate of a gringo. I am crazy about you!

Final thoughts:

Moe's - keep carrying that mantle, you will soon achieve victory through domination.

Qdoba - pack your bags; leave no black bean as a token of that lie thy cuisine hath spoken! Leave my nacholessness unbroken, quit the location beside my mall!

13 comments:

ReasonswhyIdumpedyou@gmail.com said...

OMG! Is there a Moe's in New York?!?!?! That's it, I'm leaving work early today.

Anonymous said...

Great post. I don't get the allure of the food, though. I guess I should have me some chipolte.

Sarah Rae said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Red said...

I hope my friend Darren reads this. He's obSESSED with Chipotle. As was I, for the brief and shining moment that I was there. (With Kate! And my dad!)

I think Qdoba is automatically disqualified because you can't eat their burritos without them falling apart.

Anonymous said...

I agree with Red: Qdoba is disqualified, because they suck. But I think Chipotle should be given a second chance, just because they'll do almost anything, even if it's not on their menu.

CHIPOTLE RULES THE WORLD!

*ahem*

Keith said...

oh, nabbalicious, chipotle is the top of the pops, i agree. im just saying they don't do nachos; they're more a burrito specialty place. and they do that well. i'm kinda drunk.

Red said...

And you'll probably continue to be, since there's a 12-pack of Miller Lite in my fridge and I know nobody else is drinking that shit.

Anonymous said...

For those of you that happen to live in the Atlanta area or plan to travel there someday, I pose this challenge to you: Willy's Mexicana Grille nachos. Beats Moe's nachos any day. No questions asked.

Anonymous said...

I saw Boart this weekend, which was the funniest movie i've seen in a while, but that's not the point - i ordered nachos at the movie theater and was quite impressed - now granted, i wasnt exactly practicing straightedge methodology at the time, but they were good nonetheless

don't call me MA'AM said...

Thank you, THANK YOU for shutting out Qdoba! Yes, Chipotle always wins in my book because, well, Chipotle Rules. But I do love that white cheese sauce at Moe's... utterly yummy!

As for nachos, you must get on a plane, fly to Omaha (it won't kill you, I promise), go to Julio's Tex Mex Grill, and order their signature nachos, "The Works," with a side of queso dip. There is none better. In fact, I think I'm going to have to go there for dinner now.

Anonymous said...

Chipotle is building a place on 106/107 across from Broadway Mall. Looks like they'll open in about a month or two?

-Heather

Anonymous said...

i have a qdoba coupon in my wallet keith, and we go all the time.. i am the coupon lover, guess who i am.. your review = BS in my eyes..

Anonymous said...

I went to Moe's for the first time this weekend! (That's 2 blog comments in one day, if you are keeping track!)